Monday, August 15, 2016

Theodore Roosevelt National Park - 8/13

This National Park is divided into several sections. We are visiting the South Unit and I loved their little visitor center. It was so well organized to answer my questions that I walk into every visitor center to ask. When we get to a national park, I walk in to the visitor center and say, "We're here for (#) of days. We like to hike around 5-8 miles one day and maybe 3-4 the other days. Can you recommend some trails and activities for us?"
This visitor center had a bulletin board when you walked in that indicated options if you were here for 1-2 hours, 1/2-1 day, more than a day. Brilliant! 

Then they had a hiking wall on 3 sides of a post... Short, medium, long and on the 4th side: flowers currently in bloom. Again, brilliant! 

We picked a couple easy hikes because the kids weren't too excited about hiking, more about seeing stuff. Then I had them each pick a flower to watch for throughout the day.
We toured Teddy Roosevelt's cabin and had a picnic lunch outside. 
Then we headed off on the 36-mile "scenic loop" drive. Among the way we stopped and hiked a few trails.
First thing we saw on the drive were wild horses. Ky was ecstatic. 

Next, we saw prairie dogs in "prairie dog town". And we saw a bison - up close and personal. I was less timid about getting my photo from just a few feet away because I was in my car this time. Not like at Yellowstone when they came right by while we were outside our car!

Short hikes to beautiful views were the theme of our day. 




We almost lost Kik, but Scott rescued him. (:
Ok. This situation reminded me of Sy falling into the net in the ocean in Singapore - when  he was so scared but because I knew he was safe i debated taking a photo before pulling him out. I didn't take the photo. ): 

More wild horses
And their un-shoed hoof prints. 
Tacos for dinner back at our campsite! (Ky was trying to keep a mad face.)

No comments:

Post a Comment