Friday, February 10, 2017

De Soto National Memorial


I remember learning about Hernando De Soto, an explorer, in elementary school.
However, I don't remember coming across him in the curriculum I have used with the kids.
Today, at his national memorial, I think I better understood why. We had fun learning about him, but his role in North American exploration seems to be riddled with failure. 
Everyone tried on armor. 

We had BEAUTIFUL views of Tampa Bay and the Gulf of Mexico. 
In the above photo, a dolphin was swimming by. It came out of the water just above the dark spot on the left.
Our first "get in the gulf" experience. 
Sy found a HUGE shell and a sea star. 

They had a lot of information creatively presented along the trails. 


Ky would have loved to stay all day. 
But alas, we had to make our way south. 
Onward! (:

No comments:

Post a Comment