Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Ministry in the apartment complex

Our apartment complex has a little community center where kids can go for tutoring 2-3x/wk. We try to head down and my kids use the computer lab to work on khan academy or typing  while I attempt to help other kids with their homework. In his way, we have got to know about 25 kids in the complex and some of their parents who come by. We also get to know kids at the playground and have met another 20 or so that way. Most of the parents only speak Spanish so my language skills are definitely challenged and growing daily! The kids have resolved to throw out French and learn Spanish instead. We pick up picture books in Spanish at the local library to try to grow their vocabulary.
I have also been attending a Bible study in Spanish in one family's apartment. Though I've not taken my kids yet, the kids who come watch a Bible video in Spanish while the parents are studying. It's a very basic study of foundational truths. Perfect for the community that is traditionally catholic.
I hope to have a kids Bible study once a week in the summer and maybe carry over into the school year now that I've seen that many kids are frequently at their leisure about the complex after school hours.
Looking forward to all the Lord has for us in this place. 

No comments:

Post a Comment